Friday, January 6, 2023

Reference :- While we await the return of the Sky News team , there has been time to look more broadly at changes in western culture .

 Reference :-  Has anybody noticed the proliferation of confusing acronyms ?  Let me explain .

 With the Sky News team away on holidays , Ken junior reckoned it was time to get some overdue maintenance done .  Half the guttering fell off our tax deductible premises during the floods , and since we don't have town water out here in Kooralya  we rely on a rainwater tank , so the guttering is important . 

As an octogenerian , I consider it unwise to climb ladders myself .  I explained this to the lads . 

"As an octogenerian , I  consider it unwise to climb ladders myself . ",  I said . 

" As a teenager , I consider you are full of it . " , Ken junior said . 

Nonetheless he eventually went aloft with a hacksaw and started cutting off the rusty guttering , throwing the pieces down to Gabbo . 

" Will I chuck these in the back of the ute so we can take them straight to the tip ? " , Gabbo said . 

" Are you crazy ?  That guttering is still pretty good , it might come in handy some time .  Stack it the shed beside those old kerosene cans . " , I said . 

Monte was in the shed  cutting the new guttering to length with an angle grinder . 

Suddenly a spark flew onto the oily workbench , which burst into flames faster than the Graf Zeppelin . 

" Oh crap ! " , Monte shouted. 

 Thinking fast , Gabbo grabbed the fire extinguisher off the wall and doused the flames in a few seconds . 

 " That was quick thinking Gabbo , I am impressed . ",  I said . 

 " It was Monte yelling 'crap ' that alerted me . " , Gabbo said . 

" How's that ? ", I said . 

" You know , " C.R.A.P  " .... in case of fire ,  Clutch extinguisher , Remove pin , Aim , Press trigger . We learnt that at the compulsory workplace health and safety seminar . " , Gabbo said . 

"It seems like there's a bloody acronym for everything these days . They are so confusing , and how's a bloke supposed to remember them all? ", I said  

As I was leaving the shed I heard Monte yell out again . 

" Oh crap ! " , Monte shouted . 

" Christ,  are we on fire again !   ", I shouted 

" No . I cut this length of guttering too short. " , Monte said . 

" Just as well we saved some of the old stuff ",  I said . 

Sigh .    I hope the Sky News team returns before the lads burn the place down . 

Your comrade , Ken


 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment