Monday, January 6, 2020

Reference :- The local wild life is invading the premises at The Sky Reply .

Reference:-  The drought has forced some of the local wildlife into my domicile, in search of food and water.

First it was a possum and a bandicoot who decided it was worth taking the risk of coming into the house for food.  The possum, in particular, is quite happy to take pieces of apple from my hand, and what cute little fingers it has.  The bandicoot is more cautious. They are an odd-looking creature,  with their long pointy snout, and I guess it looks at me and thinks". I don't like getting too close to that weird-looking animal with its ridiculous little nose ".

Various birds and a couple of bush turkeys roll up each morn to be fed. They are unafraid of me and must have passed this trait on via their double helices since the newly hatched chicks pay me no respect.  If a bird of prey flies overhead, they rush into the house for cover, even if that means trampling over an old bloke lying on the floor doing some morning stretches.

 But yesterday a juvenile magpie looking very threadbare, though a lively individual, landed on my breakfast table requesting some tucker . I gave it some of my best steak ( apologies to vegans, I know you are right, but some of us are weak. )  , and it seemed to enjoy eating on a table for a change, although it eschewed cutlery and condiments.

Today the magpie returned with the confidence of somebody who has established a new routine and once again joined my breakfast table.   I now quite enjoy not dining alone at breakfast, although on this occasion the little bugger, amply fed, launched itself from the table by doing a clawing wheelie across the top of my collection of Val Doonican  LP s.

They say that magpies are smart, but they can't be that smart if they don't appreciate the dulcet tones of Val Doonican. Although, at least they haven't foolishly caused the collapse of an entire planetary ecosystem.
 

  Your comrade, Ken





No comments:

Post a Comment