Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Reference :- Prime Minister and astute marketer Mr Scott Morrison announced he is spending millions on fire recovery.

Reference :-   Large sums of money are being mentioned in dispatches ,  however  we need to see them in perspective .

But first ,  many overseas news outlets have a habit of calling Mr Scott Morrison esquire " Scomo ".    They do this to be deliberately disrespectful , and sometimes  mention that they find the Australian penchant for trivial nicknames annoyingly childish .    A tradesman is a " tradie " . An electrician is a " sparkie ".  A firefighter is a  " fierie " .  And so on . That does seem to trivialize important skills that require years of training .   Personally I would prefer that my house renovation was done by a tradesman , the solar panels fitted by an electrician , and the nearby bush fires contained by fire fighters . Most certainly I would prefer to have my heart valve replaced by a cardiothoracic surgeon and not a "mitralvalvie ".    

 Anyway , when Mr Morrison proudly announced that he is bringing forward ( which means it is not additional to previous amounts )   50 million quid to help the fire victims ,  I was initially very impressed .   Then my son , Ken junior , pointed out that it is in fact taxpayer's dough , and furthermore, informed me that the insurance companies have so far logged about 1,300 million in claims .   Well , I guess that does make 50 million look tiny , but then he told me that the government's tax revenue for last year was about 350,000 million .   Odds bodkins that is a lot of money !    So the recent announcement is of the order of one seven thousandth of the annual budget expenditure.    As a percentage of my humble income , the carton of beer I gave the fire fighters after they saved my house was twenty times that .

Still , there is more to come .  Hopefully a great deal more .   

 Your comrade ,   Ken   

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment