Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Reference :- Australian rock star Tex Perkins gave Prime Minister Mr Morrison the finger during a New Year's concert in Sydney .

Reference :-   It was mentioned on the wireless that Mr Perkins  " appeared to have suffered no consequences after he insulted the Prime Minister , since he was on stage again within the hour to continue singing ".     What consequences should we expect ?

Personally I am not a huge fan of Tex Perkins , though the song in question ,
" The Honeymoon is Over " is pretty catchy .   My son , Ken junior is a fan .  He bought me one of those CD things and a disc  so I could listen to Tex , but each time I feel the need to relax with a beer and calm the soul with some music , I usually go straight to the gramophone and put on a Val Doonican record . 

But I wonder what it is that folk think could have happened to Tex , after he waved his digit in the direction of Kirribilli?     Did they think a swat team might arrive and drag him off to Guantanamo Bay or something ?   When you think about it , even the New York Times has described Australia's government as the most secretive in the western world , and what with dozens of laws being passed over the past few years that have knocked us out of the top twenty countries for freedom of the press , maybe Tex should watch out .

Back in the good old days , you could throw a shoe at the Prime Minister , even a humorless one  like Mr Howard , and nobody thought for a moment there could be serious consequences .   And the cops didn't have such a large arsenal of lethal weapons , as I recall.

 Anyway , I was going to put that CD thing into the player and listen to Tex sing " The Honeymoon is Over "  , as a tribute to Mr Morrison  when I noticed my favourite Val Doonican  album and remembered  it featured the song " The Party is Over " .  So I  am playing that instead .    It's manages to reveal the same sentiment more calmly .   I particularly like the lines

                                            "It's time to break up , this masquerade .
                                              Just make your mind up,
                                              The piper must be paid. "

 I guess the problem for Mr Morrison is that paying the piper might hurt the budget surplus .

 Ken junior , the pest , just yelled something about  " turn that crap off dad , I can't stand it "  so I had better go for now .  
                                  Your comrade , Ken

 





No comments:

Post a Comment