Sunday, November 24, 2019

Reference :- Because students protesting about climate change turned out in support of worker's rights, Chris Kenny accused them of being ideologically motivated .

Reference : - There is a Bill coming before parliament to restrict unions and give the government powers that bypass due legal process . Students are joining with workers to protest .

Well Chris, obviously the student protesters are pushing their paticular ideology . That's the whole point . They aren't happy that galloping vampire capitalism is consuming the planet .  Capeesh ?  

 Actually , I am loving these new protests.  It reminds me of the student/ worker strikes in France back in spring 1968 .   I was backpacking through Europe , and had made friends with some groovy students at the Sorbonne  University in Paris . They were heavily into free love and revolution .  Though I myself personally was not much into revolution , we still had a lot in common , and I used to hang out in the dormitories quite a lot . 

  In the end the workers and students brought France to a standstill . That French president chap with the big nose shot through to Germany and took some compassionate leave, while 10 million people went on strike . In many ways it was a symbolic event , but the workers did get a 35% raise in minimum wage and their unions were shored up more than somewhat by the time Monsieur de Gaul was back in his office .   Ah , those were heady days Chris , and I can't wait to relive them here .

  Although , I wish the protestors hadn't run with the Bee Gee's song "Stayin Alive " for their theme song .  Back in my day it was Jimi Hendrix , full of all his Vietnam War angst that we played in the dormitories at the Sorbonne .   I played an LP of Hendrix performing  " Purple Haze " to my son , Ken junior , the other night. He loved it so much that all he could say was " How long has this been going on ? "   The vinyl was a bit scratched , but somehow that only added to the Jimi Hendrix experience .  

   Your comrade , Ken .

No comments:

Post a Comment